Harness Buckle Recall – 2014 Announcement
Injuries Reported: 0
Number of Units Affected: 3.7 million
Dates Produced: See chart below
|Model Name||Dates Produced|
| Argos 70 |
Argos 70 Elite
|5/1/2011 through 7/31/2013|
|Classic Ride 50||10/1/2011 through 9/30/2013|
| Comfort Sport |
|10/1/2010 through 9/30/2013|
| Cozy Cline |
Toddler SafeSeat - Step 2
|1/1/2006 through 4/30/2010|
| My Ride 65 |
My Ride 65 with Safety Surround
|4/1/2009 through 7/31/2013; and 9/30/2013*|
|My Ride 70||5/1/2012 through 7/31/2013|
| My Size 70 |
Head Wise 70 with Safety Surround
|1/1/2012 through 7/31/2013; and 8/3/2013*|
| Nautilus 3-in-1 |
|10/1/2007 through 7/31/2013; and 8/19/2013*|
| Smart Seat |
Smart Seat with Safety Surround
|12/1/2010 through 9/30/2013; and 10/9/2013, 12/25/2013, 1/10/2014*|
|SnugRide & SnugRide Classic Connect||March 1, 2011 through May 31,2013|
|SnugRide 30 & SnugRide Classic Connect 30||July 1, 2010 through January 31,2013|
|SnugRide 35 & SnugRide Classic Connect 35||May 1, 2011 through January 31,2013|
|SnugRide Click Connect 40||June 1, 2012 through December 31,2012|
|Aprica A30||June 1, 2011 through April 30,2012|
For additional questions, contact our customer service team (Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. EST).
- Q: Am I eligible to receive a new harness buckle?
To alleviate any confusion or concern that may have arisen recently, Graco has and will continue to offer replacement harness buckles to all concerned consumers at no cost. Check our affected models chart above to see if your seat is affected. If your car seat model is listed, complete the online order form and Graco will send you the new and improved harness buckle at no cost. You can continue to use your car seat while waiting for your new buckle. For additional questions, contact our customer service team at 1-800-345-4109 or through our Contact Us page.
- Q: Is my car seat safe?
We recognize that recent news coverage may have caused concern among our consumers and we want to stress that our car seats are safe and effective in restraining children.
As parents ourselves, we have focused our efforts on developing safe, innovative, high-performance car seats. Graco car seats comply with NHTSA's exhaustive performance standards and have withstood rigorous internal testing that far exceeds federal requirements.
- Q: How can I order a new harness buckle?
Graco has and will continue to offer replacement harness buckles to all concerned consumers at no cost. Consumers can place their order online here.
- Q: How long will it take for me to receive the new harness buckle?
Replacement harness buckles are being sent as soon as we receive them and we have fulfilled over 40 percent of orders placed to date. We will ship a substantial portion every week until all consumer orders have been satisfied. We apologize for any delay and will continue to do everything we can to make sure our consumers have their replacement kits as quickly as possible. In the meantime, we will continue to update our consumers on the status of their order and will keep NHTSA informed of our progress. Current estimates are that it will take 6-8 weeks from the time of order.
- Q: What should I do while waiting for my new harness buckle?
Graco would like to stress that our car seats are safe and effective in restraining children. And, the safest way to transport your child is always in a car seat.
In the meantime, please read the below tips on how to make it easier to use the buckle - we assure you these tips help.
- Cleaning tips: Food and dried liquids can make some harness buckles progressively more difficult to open over time or become stuck in the latched position. To clean the buckle, place the buckle in a cup of warm water and gently agitate the buckle, pressing the red button several times while it is in the water. Watch the video found here for additional help.
- Opening harness buckle: The harness buckles are designed to perform differently than others you may have experienced. To release the buckle, simply tilt the top of the buckle toward the child’s abdomen, firmly press the dimple at the top of the red button and pull the tongues out of the buckle. The titling motion is the key, and it will help. Watch the video found here for additional help.
- Q: How do I install the replacement harness buckle?
Our Graco customer service team will include detailed instructions with your replacement buckle. You can also find a helpful video on replacing harness buckles here to help with this process. In most of our car seats, the process of replacing your harness buckle is the same as adjusting your harness straps and crotch strap position to accommodate a growing child or remove your soft goods to clean them.
- Q: I have more than one Graco car seat, can I order more than one harness buckle?
The online order form will allow you to order up to three different harness buckles for three different models. So, you can order multiple buckles for each model.
- Q: What is the difference between the old and new harness buckle?
We’ve been sending new and improved harness buckles to consumers who requested them since last June. We’ve received positive feedback from consumers who have the new and improved harness buckle saying they find it easy to use.
- Q: I have a Graco car seat but did not purchase it in the U.S. Is my car seat affected by the recall?
This recall impacts the harness buckles on Graco toddler car seats sold in the U.S. and Canada. For more information on the recall in Canada, please visit www.graco.net.
- Q: Does this change my warranty?
No, your warranty will not be affected by this recall. Graco has created detailed instructions and a video to help consumers replace the harness buckle in their car seats. In most car seats, the process of replacing your harness buckle is similar to adjusting your harness straps and crotch strap position to accommodate a growing child or removing your soft goods to clean them.
- Q: Can I return my Graco car seat?
This recall affects the harness buckle on the car seat only. We want to stress that our car seats are safe and effective in restraining children. And, the safest way to transport your child is always in a car seat. Complete the online order form and Graco will send you the new and improved harness buckle at no cost. You can continue to use your car seat while waiting for your new buckle.
- Q: How do I speak to Graco's customer service team?
If you have questions, you can call Graco's customer service team at 1-800-345-4109 or through our Contact Us page. Graco knows you have questions and we have an expanded customer service team dedicated to taking your calls. Please also consider the online order form to order your replacement harness buckle — it will only take a minute.
- Q: Have there been any injuries as a result of the harness buckles?
Graco can assure you there have been no reported injuries as a result of the harness buckles used on Graco car seats. We want to stress that our car seats are safe and effective in restraining children. And, the safest way to transport a child is always in a car seat.
Harness Buckle Replacement Questions: